[PEAK] The breakup begins; egg snapshots now available

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Jul 9 02:04:09 EDT 2005

I've actually begun the breakup of PEAK packages, and it's going amazingly
fast so far.  The current Subversion HEAD of PEAK uses setuptools to find
and obtain all its dependencies.  I've created a new snapshots directory
for development snapshots of packages under development:

     http://peak.telecommunity.com/snapshots/

If you want to obtain development snapshots of these projects, you can do
so using the EasyInstall program (see
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall for installation
instructions).  The command to install the latest PEAK and its dependencies is:

     easy_install.py -fhttp://peak.telecommunity.com/snapshots/ PEAK

It is imperative, by the way, that you clean out old versions of ZConfig,
fcgiapp, wsgiref, or pretty much any other packages even remotely
associated with PEAK.  Such packages will take precedence over packages
installed by EasyInstall, so you must remove them, or you'll get strange
problems caused by importing old versions of things.

Anyway, the breakup has begun, and it's pretty exciting.  The win32 .egg
files for PEAK dropped from 2.1M to 1.7M when I removed all the external
stuff (kjbuckets, ZConfig, PyProtocols,fcgiapp, and wsgiref).

I expect that there will probably still be a few hitches here and
there.  For example, I haven't yet updated PEAK to use pkg_resources to
access pkgfile: targets, and peak.web doesn't know how to listdir()
package-based resources, either.  These may require changes to a couple of
interfaces.  Overall, though, things are going nicely.  I hope to have some
better setuptools documentation out this weekend; for now you can see an
extremely partial draft at:

     http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools

I hope to have most of the Developer's Guide and all of the Command
Reference stuff documented this weekend, along with a setuptools-0.5a9
release that will hopefully wrap up the remaining features needed for PEAK
to run as an egg.