[PEAK] Downloading via redirection

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Mar 23 23:54:49 EDT 2007

At 08:46 PM 3/23/2007 -0500, Justizin wrote:
>On 3/23/07, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>>However, it *doesn't* have aby way of knowing that 'index.php' is in fact
>>'python-commons-0.1.tgz', when it sees it mentioned in a link on a web
>>page.  If you want it to be able to know this, you need to add
>
>It should be noted that in this case, on the server side, the
>Content-Disposition header may contain a filename, I forget the exact
>incarnation but it is something like:

>This is how your web browser sometimes knows to turn
>download.php?id=21lk21421 into a file on your desktop ish with a
>proper filename.
>
>I don't know how easy_install would handle this, but I do believe it
>would be the ideal / proper interaction.

You're missing the point.  If easy_install doesn't know that's a link to a
tarball, it won't download it in the first place.  If it *knows* it's a
direct download link (e.g., you specify it on the command line), it works
just fine already.

Content-type and disposition are red herrings here -- easy_install will
never see them because it doesn't download every link it sees on a web
page, which could be links to images, web pages, or who knows what
else.  As far as easy_install is concerned, a URL ending in 'index.php' is
not something to download, unless explicitly told otherwise.

And that's not going to change, because it can't.