[PEAK] Downloading via redirection

Justizin justizin at siggraph.org
Fri Mar 23 21:46:31 EDT 2007

On 3/23/07, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

.. hedge trimming ..

> However, it *doesn't* have aby way of knowing that 'index.php' is in fact
> 'python-commons-0.1.tgz', when it sees it mentioned in a link on a web
> page.  If you want it to be able to know this, you need to add

It should be noted that in this case, on the server side, the
Content-Disposition header may contain a filename, I forget the exact
incarnation but it is something like:

This is how your web browser sometimes knows to turn
download.php?id=21lk21421 into a file on your desktop ish with a
proper filename.

I don't know how easy_install would handle this, but I do believe it
would be the ideal / proper interaction.

> '#egg=python_commons-0.1' to the end of your link, e.g.:
>
> http://assorted.sf.net/python-commons/download/index.php#egg=python_commons-0.1
>
> This will be recognized as what it is: a download link for the source of
> python-commons.

Of course, you can't always control the server and I'm glad to hear
it's possible to do this.  I've seen the same feature used on
subversion urls of some Plone-related stuff like ZopeSkel, which is
really just a paster extension / shrinkwrap.

> >Would you consider adding redirection support?
>
> No, since it's already there.  :)

Yang - could the UI be modified as such that it would have given you
less of a first impression that this was not working properly?

Cheers!

--
Justin Alan Ryan
Director, Interaction Architecture

"You don't lead by pointing and telling people some place to go. You
lead by going to that place and making a case." -Ken Kesey