[PEAK] setup.py develop throws strange error in windows

2ms22 at qlink.queensu.ca 2ms22 at qlink.queensu.ca
Fri Nov 24 01:27:16 EST 2006

Hi there,

I am having some issues running easy_install on windows.  I am trying to
specify a custom install dir, but keep getting an incomprehensible (to me)
error:

>python setup.py develop --install-dir J:\
running develop
Checking .pth file support in J:\
"C:\Program Files\Python24\pythonw.exe" -E -c pass
error: command '""C:\Program Files\Python24\pythonw.exe""' failed: Invalid
argument

I am completely stomped.  I have tried everything, from adding an entry to
setup.cfg, to putting quotes.  The latter giving the following error:

>python setup.py develop --install-dir \"J:\\\"
running develop
Checking .pth file support in "J:\"
error: can't create or remove files in install directory

The following error occurred while trying to add or remove files in the
installation directory:

    [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '"J:\\"\\test-easy-install-3452.pth'

The installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or
the distutils default setting) was:

    "J:\"

This directory does not currently exist.  Please create it and try again, or
choose a different installation directory (using the -d or --install-dir
option).

Thank you so much,