[PEAK] Packaging peak apps

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Feb 1 17:32:48 EST 2005

At 03:02 PM 2/1/05 -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>Note that it's not just about being able to run arbitrary extensions, that
>is just a bonus.  It significantly cleans up the API for finding non-code
>resources, allows for package selection based on version and platform
>information, etc.  With the pkg_resources API you can (even with the
>current primitive implementation) do:
>
>pkg_resources.resource_string('peak', 'peak.ini')
>
>and it will do the right thing, whether or not PEAK is in a zip file.

The reason I said it the way I did is that PEAK already has support for
finding its own stuff in a .zip file, it's just broken.  :)  Fixing the bug
that Alexander mentioned will allow PEAK to handle non-code resources
correctly, so the main thing that .egg support adds (to PEAK) is supporting
extensions, and files that have to be read from C code.

For non-PEAK applications, of course the rest of the pkg_resources API is
also a bonus.  :)