[PEAK] PEAK CVS vs. ZODB CVS :: [pP]ersistence :: Round 1, Fight!

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Feb 22 12:56:22 EST 2004

On Feb 22, 2004, at 11:57 AM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 02:52 AM 2/22/04 -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> On further inspection.. the ZODB  3.3 that I'm using (ZODB in the CVS
>> repo) has a module called "persistent" which seems equivalent to the
>> "persistence" module that PEAK uses, with a few small changes (i.e. it
>> doesn't seem to have the stupid 2.2 hack, so I made the metaclass
>> type).  I did have to make a small patch to the persistent module such
>> that it gets Interface and Attribute from protocols if ZODB isn't
>> available (otherwise it uses garbage old style classes in place).
>
> Sounds great.  I do have one question, though.  Does this work with
> Python 2.2.2?  If not, I can't put it in PEAK yet.  :(  However, if
> the changes could be made conditional upon Python 2.3 and ZODB3.3
> being present, then I'd happily accept a patch.

No, I don't think it works with 2.2.  I would make it conditional, but
I don't know how those string imports you're using work :)

>> I also changed the setup.py to check for ZEO instead of
>> zope.component,
>> because ZODB installs ZConfig too -- but that's more of a hack.
>
> Yeah, you might be best off hacking setup.py to use 'extra_path' for
> the time being.

Right now I'm just using --install-lib to put it somewhere on its own..
and I have my own pth file that references it .. but with these changes
(checking for ZEO), PEAK and ZODB don't overlap anymore.

-bob