[PEAK] Upgrading required Python version

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Dec 21 01:25:47 EST 2004

Hi all.  I'm thinking about bumping the version of Python required for
PyProtocols and PEAK.  Does anybody besides me actually still use
2.2?  And, would anyone see a problem upgrading to 2.4?

Currently, PEAK and PyProtocols both include stuff cribbed from 2.3 and 2.4
that it would be nice to forget about, and there are lots of features added
later that it would be nice to take advantage of.  Also, there are plenty
of other packages out there (e.g. ctypes) that only work with 2.3 and up.

Last, but not least, 2.3 supports importing from zipfiles, and 2.4 should
actually allow PEAK to lazily import from zipfiles.  (As should 2.3.5, but
that version doesn't actually exist yet.)

Anyway, 2.2.2 is now over 2 years old and beginning to show its
age.  Personally, I'm thinking maybe we should just bite the bullet and
jump straight to 2.4 so that we can use decorators and generator
expressions, as well as avoiding the need to build our own special versions
of doctest and pyexpat just to get the 2.4 versions' features.

Any thoughts?