[TransWarp] RE: Towards a query theory, part 1: filters and correlation

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Oct 12 22:20:38 EDT 2003

At 12:06 PM 10/12/03 -0700, Joel Boehland wrote:
>Hi,
>Interesting Sunday morning reading. Just for clarification, in the
>examples you posted,
>(let's take the last one), does the line:
>aCity = City.where()
>
>actually mean something like:
>aCity = City.where(<some selector detail omitted...>)

No.

>So that aCity is a particular city selected out of the city table?
>Otherwise, I would
>think that an empty .where() selector would map to "SELECT * FROM CITY".

Yes, that's correct, in a sense.  It's more like just saying "FROM CITY
aCity", though, there's no SELECT * involved.

I think, however, that in the actual implementation we'll end up doing
something more like:

     aCity = VAR("aCity")

or maybe just:

     aCity = VAR()

But there'll be more on that subject in my next installment.