[PEAK] runIni => ZConfig revisited

alexander smishlajev alex at ank-sia.com
Fri Nov 14 14:02:34 EST 2003

Phillip J. Eby wrote, at 14.11.2003 20:30:

>> one of the biggest problems for us now is the requirement to restart
>> the application upon any change in configuration file.  we have a
>> strong need to reload config files on the fly, restarting or updating
>> only those components that have their configuration changed.
>
> Perhaps you could create a top-level component that holds the entire
> configured subtree, and simply discards/reloads it when necessary.

i hope we will end with something like this, only on per-section basis:
when config section changes, we discard and reload the component whose
configuration is changed.

perhaps we should keep track of file timestamps for all (or at least
often changed) sections and things made from these sections.

> (I'm assuming here that the issue with restarting is that Python startup
> and module importing is too slow, not that recreating the app's
> component tree is a problem.)

no.  the problem is that our application (server) operates with many
instruments simultaneously.  when configuration is changed for one
instrument, we should not stop instruments that are not affected.

best wishes,
alex.