[TransWarp] PROPOSAL: rename Local->App, Global->System in peak.config

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Mar 7 16:08:07 EST 2003

At 08:15 PM 3/7/03 +0200, alexander smishlajev wrote:

>"System" and "App" seem to me much better names than "global" and "local".
>
>but somehow i do not feel very comfortable with "App" name.  IMHO the set
>of components using "local" config does not match exactly the concept of
>"application" as i understand it (in general sense).
>
>may it be that the word "Root" reflects the function of "local" config
>better than the word "application"?

I would say that an application is composed of one or more root
components.  An "application configuration" would be the configuration
shared by those root components.  This is actually the intended use of what
are now called LocalConfig objects.

Because the common case is that only one PEAK application will run in the
same Python interpreter, the default is for all root components to share
the same AppConfig (i.e. LocalConfig), unless explicitly specified otherwise.