[TransWarp] Please don't advocate PEAK

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jul 16 12:49:38 EDT 2003

Yes, that's what I said.  Please stop telling people (especially fans of
other frameworks) how good PEAK is.   We don't have finished software.  We
don't have documentation.  Premature promotion of PEAK will destroy its
long-term chance of popularity, and increase the likelihood of
backlash.  (Note the sarcastic remarks people make about Twisted, because
of similar early overpromotion.)

Right now, the only way somebody is going to use PEAK is if they're willing
to experiment and work a bit to find us and do something with these
half-finished tools.  But if non-experimenter types hear how good PEAK is,
they're going to land squarely in the middle of our unfinished,
undocumented mess and write it off as useless.  And they will *never come
back*.

I'm not saying you should keep it a secret, or not let anybody know you're
happy with it.  Just please don't go around saying things like that other
frameworks should be based on it, or that such-and-such package should use
PEAK, unless you're the author of the package or framework in question.

PEAK needs to be an obscure package (to find out about) right now, because
it is still an obscure package (to use).