[PEAK] Re: Cross-platform stored-procedure support

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Dec 17 17:53:04 EST 2003

At 12:49 PM 12/13/03 -0500, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> > The Python DBAPI is somewhat underspecified (and poorly supported) for
> > stored procedure invocation. (...)
> > I'd like to give PEAK a stored procedure mechanism that is:
> > * Cross-platform
> > * Convenient
> > * Covers all functionality of the platform(s)
>
>I am usually the one to bring this up, and it always plays to crickets,
>but a pythonic rendition(*) of ADO.Net's disconnected-data DataSet and
>supporting classes such as SqlCommand) would be a potential solution to
>these issues.
>
>O'Reilly's ADO.Net Center:
>http://www.ondotnet.com/topics/dotnet/ado.net
>
>Executing Stored Procedures Through a SqlCommand Object:
>http://www.ondotnet.com/lpt/a/1157#58556

I read the latter link; it looks to me like it brings nothing new to the
table.  That is, it's no different than the Python DBAPI, in that all of
the interesting parts (such as parameter naming and type conversion) are
unspecified.

My objective here is to treat stored procedures as Python callables, taking
Python values and returning Python results.

As for the dataset stuff, that sort of thing will be handled via
peak.query, for the most part.  I don't plan to have an explicit buffered
relvar type, but there *will* be a framework for managing any kind of data
as streams of row-like things, and if you really need an in-memory dataset
for something you could probably implement one.  But the normal (non-GUI)
use case for in-memory datasets will be handled via transactions.