[TransWarp] Re: TransWarp

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jul 11 09:45:59 EDT 2001

At 06:59 AM 7/11/01 -0500, Daniel Mahler wrote:
>  > Ah.  The instructions were meant to imply that you run unittest.py from
>  > wherever it is.  Perhaps someone can suggest a better phrasing.  Still,
>  > it's nice to know that all but one of the unit tests in the preview
> release
>  > work on Python 2.1.  Perhaps after I hunt down and fix the unicode
> issues,
>  > you'd like to try the CVS version and see how well it works?  It does
> quite
>  > a bit more with XML than the preview release does.
>  >

>Let me know when it is ready.
>BTW I have also tried to how far I can get with jpython.
>Jython 2.0 was a complete no go because there was no new module.
>Pure Aspects code appears to work.
>However Features instantiona bombs with
>
>Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "/home/mahler/cyblack/aspects.py", line 150, in ?
>   File "/home/mahler/cyblack/aspects.py", line 163, in DiceService
>   File "/home/mahler/cyblack/aspects.py", line 165, in DiceElement
>   File "/mcallister0/home/mahler/cyblack/TW/Features.py", line 210, in
> __init__
>   File "/mcallister0/home/mahler/cyblack/TW/Features.py", line 227, in
> _compile
>AttributeError: instance of 'org.python.core.PyTableCode' has no attribute
>'co_names'
>
>I guess from your faq that you do not plan to support jython.
>Still, if it worked ... :)

The main issues with Jython are XML and the lack of
ExtensionClasses.  Interestingly, it may be possible to add many of
ExtensionClasses' most useful features to Jython, and I may look into it at
some point.  The most useful feature would be the __of__ protocol, since
that would enable you to write Acquisition, ComputedAttributes,
MethodObjects, and many other useful things in Python without even dropping
down to the Java level.  If you had that and "Persistent", you could almost
do a Jython version of Zope (Jope?).

(By the way, I prefer to receive and answer TransWarp-related messages via
the TransWarp mailing list, so that others can receive the benefits of any
information I give out, and so that others can help with the answering of
questions.  Thanks.)