[TransWarp] Re: "auto-generation of Zope components"

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Aug 19 07:07:14 EDT 2001

At 05:19 PM 8/18/01 +0200, Erik Enge wrote:

>| The "generation" I'm talking about is going from a UML model to a
>| set of objects which can be merged with user-written code -- not as
>| Python text, but by dynamically merging classes at runtime (or at
>| least program startup).
>
>Whoa!  Now you're talking.  See, this, now this is interesting.
>
>Has this work started?

Yes.  It's available from CVS.  It doesn't currently generate anything from
MOF or UML models, but it can read them.  It also generates its own code
for reading them, from a meta-level XML format that describes an object
model.  So, in principle it can already be seen to work.

The top-level "TW" package implements a component-weaving facility that
dynamically merges classes and objects according to a "recipe" of
"specifications", where a specification can be an arbitrarily nested set of
classes and methods/attributes.  I have this part in actual production use
in one application of mine.

The rest, as far as the TW.UML, TW.MOF, and TW.XMI packages are still
pretty experimental at this point.  I'm thinking right now of doing another
complete rewrite of the XMI support to be able to handle XMI 1.0 or 1.1 and
maybe be able to update an XMI file without losing tool-specific extensions.

If you have questions, please send them to the TransWarp at eby-sarna.com
mailing list, so that everyone can benefit from the answers.  Thanks.