[PEAK] Re: setuptools: Test works only after second invocation

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Tue May 4 12:13:41 EDT 2010

"P.J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> writes:
> At 03:38 PM 4/29/2010 -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> >
>> > Sure, lots.  ;-)

> Well, it's still a shutdown-time issue - presumably go_lock is being
> set to None before this point.  However, if the only part of
> setuptools you're using is the test command, and it's not installing
> anything from source (and thereby using the sandbox), it's unlikely to
> be a direct result of setuptools.

Actually it does seem to be a direct result of setuptools. When I add
the psyco import to setup.py, the problem goes away. I suppose it's the
same bug that causes the problems with the multiprocessing module.

Is there some more in-depth documentation about what setuptools is doing
than the one on http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools?
Something that describes e.g. when, how and why the sandbox is set up
and what is being done to sys.modules? I'm quite curious, and maybe
it'll also help me to track down similar bugs faster or recognize
constructions in my tests that could cause other problems.

Best,

   -Nikolaus