[PEAK] Resolving AmbiguousMethod errors in PEAK-Rules

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Aug 16 20:19:12 EDT 2010

This is something I'm working on for the PEAK-Rules docs; feedback welcome!

How To Fix Typical AmbiguousMethods Errors

Most AmbiguousMethods errors are due to mixing "default" cases with
normal cases, e.g.::

     @abstract
     def jsonify(ob):
         """Jsonify something"""

     @when(jsonify, "hasattr(ob,'__json__')")
     def default_jsonify(ob):
         return ob.__jsonify__()

     @when(jsonify, int)
     def jsonify_int(ob):
         # ...etc.

The problem with the above code is that it doesn't say what should
happen if an object is (say), a subclass of ``int`` that has its own
``__json__`` method.  Should the "int" case be used, or the
``__jsonify__`` method?

This isn't something PEAK-Rules can decide for itself: in the face of
ambiguity, it refuses the temptation to guess which way was what you meant.

However, for cases like this, there's a really, really simple fix,
and it looks like this::

     def jsonify(ob):
         """Jsonify something"""
         if hasattr(ob,'__json__'):
             return ob.__json__()
         else:
             raise TypeError("Can't jsonify", ob)

     @when(jsonify, int)
     def jsonify_int(ob):
         # ...etc.

See, PEAK-Rules is really designed to *add specialization* to
functions, which is why jsonify in this example doesn't even need a
decorator!  It's just a regular function, describing the *default*
case: what should happen if there *isn't* an explicit rule.

So, the right way to define a generic function with PEAK-Rules is to
put the "base case" in the function's initial definition.  That "base
case" is whatever you want to happen whenever there isn't an explicit rule.

And, because you're writing sequential code there, you can trivially
enforce whatever precedence you want, just by the order of your
if-then's, and it's absolutely unambiguous what you intend.

Then, use PEAK-Rules to define only the *special* cases.  The
*unique* cases.  The, "yeah, but I need this specific situation to do
it this way..." cases.  Think of it as subclassing for functions -
you need to put the default cases in your base class, not a subclass!  ;-)

Really, that's what PEAK-Rules is for: to separate the nice simple
elegant definition of a (dare I say it?) "generic" function, from all
the special cases that arise in real applications.

You know what I mean.  Those, "Oh, you need it to work with this
other kind of object?  But only if this other condition holds?" cases.

And when you divide code into "base case + rules", you make both
reading and writing the code more *incremental*.  First you read (or
write) the base case, and get an idea of what it's supposed to do in
general.  Then, you read (or write) rules in modular groups, to
understand (or implement) a set of related use cases.

And if you were to look at PEAK-Rules' own source code, you would see
that it follows this principle itself.  Most of its own generic
functions have a "base case" body; relatively few are abstract.

And as you go through each module and group of classes, you'll see
batches of rules, updating the previous information.

For example, the "implies()" generic in PEAK-Rules is initially
defined as "x implies y if x==y".  Then, later, we learn how
subclasses imply their bases, how booleans imply or are implied by
other kinds of things, how conditions imply each other, and so on.

Okay, you say, all that's very well and good for your base cases, but
suppose what I *really* want is for the "__json__" rule to take
precedence **over** everything else?

Well, in that case, your code should look like this::

     @abstract
     def jsonify(ob):
         """Jsonify something"""

     @around(jsonify, "hasattr(ob,'__json__')")  # this is now 'around'
     def default_jsonify(ob):
         return ob.__json__()

     @when(jsonify, int)
     def jsonify_int(ob):
         # ...etc.

The ``@around`` says, "this is a really special case -- it's so
special that it takes precedence over anything defined with a
``@when``".  Voila.  Problem solved a different way.

PEAK-Rules does this sort of thing on occasion internally as well;
for example, its ``intersect()`` function (that returns the logical
intersection of two conditions) has an ``@around`` method that
basically says, "if one of the conditions implies the other, just
return that condition, otherwise, go on with whatever you'd have done
normally".  The code looks like::

     @abstract
     def intersect(c1, c2):
         """Return the logical intersection of two conditions"""

     @around(intersect, (object, object))
     def intersect_if_implies(next_method, c1, c2):
         if implies(c1,c2):      return c1
         elif implies(c2, c1):   return c2
         return next_method(c1, c2)

(As you can see, it doesn't even use a fancy condition for this, as
it's built on PEAK-Rules' types-only dispatching.)

Now, while I can't say for certain that *every* possible way of
having ambiguous methods will be resolved by one or the other of
these patterns, I will say that I've not yet seen a case that isn't.

So, in summary:

* If it's a default case, put it in the original function definition

* If it's a special case that overrides everything else, use @around

* If you get an ambiguous method error that can't be resolved in
either of the above ways, or if the resolution would cause other
problems, drop me a note via the PEAK mailing list and let me know!