[PEAK] Trellis future (forking)

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jun 25 15:51:30 EDT 2009

At 12:29 PM 6/25/2009 +0300, Sergey Schetinin wrote:
>I don't really mind DVCS's but Subversion served me so well all these
>years that I just don't see a reason to move away from it. As they
>say: if it's not broken -- don't fix it. Thanks for suggestions
>anyway.

Actually, I've found that there's an excellent reason to use DVCS:
managing local changes to upstream software.  I learned the basics of
Mercurial last weekend and found it to be a nice improvement over
svn, at least for that use case.  There is even a built-in tool to
pull updates from CVS, svn, and others into a Mercurial repository,
and it handles merging MUCH better than svn.  I plan to migrate all
my own company's private-branch projects to Mercurial for that reason.