[PEAK] Trellis future (forking)

Grant Baillie grant at osafoundation.org
Wed Jun 17 11:24:46 EDT 2009

On 12 Jun, 2009, at 04:22, Sergey Schetinin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was thinking about it for months, but I think it's time to fork
> Trellis -- Phillip is busy with other things and I don't want to
> bother him with endless requests. Trellis the way it is now is a great
> start but it could use a lot more work -- I'm willing to put that work
> in and I think Andrew Svetlov would participate as well.
>
> I'm about to launch a number of projects into production and I want to
> make sure all of the dependencies are well maintained -- for Trellis
> that seems to mean it needs forking. I also think Trellis needs more
> that just bugfixing, so I'm not sure if there's way not to fork it.
> Well, maybe except for taking over it completely, but it's unlikely
> anyone would want that and I still want to see where Phillip want to
> take Trellis himself -- clearly I can't pretend I'm as good as he is.
>
> To avoid conflicts I'd change the import names to
>
> from trellis import *
> from trellis.activity import *
>
> etc.
>
> Some things I think I'll do right away after forking:
> * apply the bugfixes I've sent before
> * drop py2.3 support
> * add more comments to source code to make it easier to understand
> for people just learning the system (and when coming back to it after
> a while), I'd also rewrite some parts for clarity but without
> compromising performance.
> * add some more practical examples
> * reorganize source code:
>   * comment out some classes not reported to be used in actual
> projects: testing is good but not enough.
>   * add utility modules, for example wx utilities (WXEventLoop would
> move there as well)
>   * reorganize test suite
>
> There's plenty more, but that's enough for a start I think.
>
> So my questions are:
> * any reasons I shouldn't do this?
> * is "trellis" as package name ok? (it would be trellis-fork on pypi
> and similar)
> * can this mailing list be used for discussion of this fork?
>

> I also wonder how many users Trellis has. If you use it, please say a
> few words about your project at least if it's in a hobby / academia /
> business software / other class. Thanks.

Hi, Sergey

I just caught up on this thread today: trellis-fork looks pretty
awesome. I'll have a look at the changes you posted earlier today, and
send some feedback.

I have a couple of projects that use trellis (and that I'll look into
porting over to trellis-fork). One is the original client for trellis:
<http://chandler2.osafoundation.org>, that was funded as far as the
"clunky prototype phase" :). I'm pursuing that, and another desktop
GUI project of my own, as mostly hobby projects at this point.

--Grant