[PEAK] "Coherence" - a Trellis-like language w/error handling

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Apr 24 14:04:04 EDT 2009

I ran across this yesterday, via reddit:

   http://coherence-lang.org/

The paper is very much worth reading, although I am still digesting
all the ramifications of it.  Basically, the author has created a
Trellis-like programming language, but with various additional
twists.  In particular, it supports "micro-transactions" at a finer
grain than the Trellis, as well as what might be called "structural
transactions" for error handling.

There is a notion in this language of "fences" and "latches" which
can wrap an object such that if an error occurs as a result of
changes passing through the "fence", then all changes inside the
fence are rolled back to the corresponding latches where those
changes were made.  However, the boundary isn't a call stack like
try/except, it's the attributes or cells where the changes are made.

In effect, it's like the old idea of having an "editor" or "buffer"
object that holds changes to be applied all-at-once to another
object, except that instead of using validation functions on the
editor/buffer, this actually works by changing the target object, but
rolling back all the changes if an error occurred as a result of any
of the changes.

In addition, it has the notion of "hypothetical execution", meaning
that you can do something like, "suppose I set this and this and
this...  what would happen?"  In other words, a mini-transaction that
gets rolled back after you get your information.

There's also "causal error handling", which basically means that you
can get the equivalent of tracebacks between rules, when something
makes something else blow up.

Anyway, these features aren't going to show up in Trellis any time
soon, but it's interesting to see how someone else has solved similar
problems, and I definitely want to study this more.