[PEAK] several version of eggs

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Oct 7 14:01:47 EDT 2008

At 04:29 PM 10/7/2008 +0200, cedric briner wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I thought that with eggs, I will be able to choose at run time, which
>version of an egg I would like to use.

You must install them using the --multi-version (-m) option of easy_install.

>so it feels that the only package I can call is the latest one
>installed !!!

If the last one you install is installed with -m, you'll be able to
use whichever you want, but you will always have to use require() to
import *any* of them.

If you want to be able to use any version, any time, then you need to
package the code that's doing that with its own setup.py,
requirements, and entry point scripts.  Such scripts can use whatever
version they want, even if not installed with -m.  See the setuptools
manual for more information on this.