[PEAK] dumb question about easy_install

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jun 28 20:28:50 EDT 2006

At 08:04 PM 6/28/2006 -0400, Michael Bayer wrote:
>On Jun 28, 2006, at 7:45 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>mkdir ~/py_lib
>>export PYTHONPATH=~/py_lib
>>cd ~/sa020
>>python setup.py develop -d ~/py_lib
>
>yup that works.
>
>(insert obligatory "docs need more examples !" here....)

Insert obligatory "patches welcome!" here...  ;)

Actually, the above is more-or-less documented for easy_install but not for
setup.py develop.

Frankly, there are certain times and places where I suck at writing
adequate documentation, and this is one of them.  I know *way* too much
about Python to be able to write these kinds of examples well, because I
don't know what it is that people don't know.  There isn't much that *I*
can do about it, but this is fertile ground for volunteers to write up
their experiences and/or perspectives, since they are a lot closer to the
"not knowing" and can thus explain things better for other people who
didn't know.  :)

To be quite honest, I've seen the ~/py_lib sort of setup for PYTHONPATH so
many times I thought it was a well-established meme in its own right.  I
suppose that for people coming from e.g. Java it might not be as obvious,
especially in the context of eggs (since .jars have to be put on the
classpath individually in Java).

>thanks for the help  !

No problem.