[PEAK] dumb question about easy_install

Michael Bayer mike_mp at zzzcomputing.com
Wed Jun 28 14:41:13 EDT 2006

OK, so yah i see this is the change in 0.6a11 that does a more
aggressive form of dealing with conflicts.

Ive tried the "develop" command below, and while Im sure I'll get it
to work soon, my first three attempts have returned error messages or
just not worked.

This is in contrast to PYTHONPATH, which had a very simple and
obvious operation (and also consistent with every other language
environment's behavior).  PYTHONPATH's behavior now diverges from
whats documented in all the python books and websites when anything
setuptools-related has been installed, and the alternative is now
significantly more tedious and complicated (and also will totally hit
newbies by surprise).

Why cant we retain "classic" behavior for at least paths that are
explicitly in PYTHONPATH ?  or at least have some other variable like
PEAKPATH or something ?   this new behavior seems to be not in the
spirit of simple and transparent behavior for an installer tool.

i.e.:

import sys; sys.__plen = len(sys.path)
.. list of modules ...
import os; import sys; new=sys.path[sys.__plen:]; del sys.path
[sys.__plen:]; p=getattr(sys,'__egginsert',0); sys.path[p:p]=new;
sys.__egginsert = p+len(new); [sys.path.insert(0, x) for x in
os.environ.get('PYTHONPATH', '').split(os.pathsep)];