[PEAK] generic function signature changes

Kevin Dangoor dangoor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 14:54:08 EDT 2006

On 6/15/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> >But, if you add an additional, even optional,
> >parameter to a generic function, all of the implementers of that
> >function need to change as well...
> >
> >Is that right?
>
> Yes - just like if you add a parameter to a method in a base class or
> interface -- all the implementers or overriders of the method need to
> change as well.

I should be wary of the thoughts that hit me at 7AM.

Yes, of course... I was thinking that the subclasses can just call the
base class method passing in the parameters they know about (which, of
course, they can). But outside users of those objects that expect the
new interface will certainly run into trouble.

Kevin