[PEAK] Live attributes

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Jan 31 13:42:58 EST 2005

A while ago I posted about a problem with descriptors not knowing what
class or name they were bound to:
http://blog.ianbicking.org/descriptor-nit.html

Phillip, you noted that PEAK had something like this, IActiveDescriptor
and activateInClass.  Anyway, I'm finally getting around to refactoring
SQLObject to do this, and I don't want to just invent my own names, and
since I find this basic pattern really useful it would be nice to have
some cross-library convention on how to do this.  OTOH, I don't want to
add a PyProtocols/adaptation requirement to SQLObject for this small
feature.  Somehow activateInClass doesn't seem magic enough without
adaptation, though at the same time maybe it doesn't matter; is there
really likely to be a name conflict.  OTOH, without adaptation it's only
  outwardly similar to PEAK, it's certainly not a drop-in replacement.

Any thoughts?