[PEAK] Organizing documentation of Python code

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Sep 22 15:20:07 EDT 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> But source-reading tools are few and far between, because you have to be
> able to write a parser or figure out how to use Python's internal parser
> in order to write one.  Really, HappyDoc is the only practical
> source-reading tool out there that I know of.  But even though it reads
> the source, it *also* discards the ordering information, and doesn't
> understand descriptors or interfaces or metaclasses.

Docutils has a source parser that's pretty decent, I worked on it some
during the PyCon docutils sprint.  I don't know the current state of
things, but there's been a lot of activity recently (probably a lot of
it still focused on stand-alone document generation, but that's just
because that's what people are using it for now).

Anyway, the parser had a couple features:

* It could read strings anywhere in the code (though it didn't pay
attention to function bodies as a policy decision, I think).  So you
could do:

class Whatever:
     """The owner attribute means blah blah"""
     owner = None

Actually, I think it put the string after the assignment, to match
docstrings, though I think that's all backwards.  It captures both the
variable being assigned to, and the expression.  It also captures
strings that aren't attached to anything and aren't before an attribute
assignment.  It also captured instance variable assignment in __init__.

It also keeps track of all the ordering of the module.  I used it at one
point to do separators, like:

class Whatever:
     """These functions are only for use in subclasses"""
     def ...

Unfortunately it can't read comments at all.  But otherwise all the
interesting information is there.  Right now it is creating a DOM, which
is the docutils DOM plus some source-code-specific nodes.  It needs
something to translate that DOM into a standard docutils DOM, which can
then be rendered.  It also needs a lot of work and thought to deal with
inter-module references, but it would still be useable without that.
Oh, and subclassing -- that's a hard one too (being able to display a
picture of a class's methods, including all superclass definitions).
And, for PEAK, you'll probably want to be able to extend the whole thing
for special PEAK constructs.