[PEAK] peak.web has landed (but is still very alpha)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Oct 26 01:11:44 EDT 2004

FYI, I just checked in the last of the critical PWT features.  There are
still a half-dozen or so features I'd like to add, and this is unlikely to
be the end of the refactoring.  But, we now have basically the features I
wanted to put in place this month.  As I try to actually build applications
on top of them, the implementation and maybe some of the API is likely to
change.  It's been a rather long while since we had anything in PEAK that's
quite as "raw" as this in terms of its alphaness, so I feel I should warn
everyone that, yeah, most of PEAK's "alpha" is more stable than some
system's "stable", but peak.web really really *is* "alpha".

That having been said, the basic concepts of views, resources, skins,
layers, and PWT actually are quite stable, in that they've basically been
there for quite some time.  It's only the details that have been
fluctuating.  But what details!

I don't have a firm plan yet for what comes next.  My first thought is that
I'm going to take a bit of time off from coding to catch up on housework,
bookkeeping, and other things I've been neglecting in the last three
weeks.  Then, I think a next step might be to create some "Hello World" web
apps to write up in the IntroToPeak tutorial on the Wiki.  This will help
me polish up the API a little bit, as I discover what bits look really
silly when you try to explain them to somebody else.  :)

I don't expect to do a very in-depth tutorial, just enough to show how DMs
map into the web layer, and basic templating.  After that, I'll probably
move on to writing a simple blogging application.  But first, I'll have to
design it, and in the process, there will probably arise issues with either
the feature set or the API design of peak.web, and I'll be back to hacking
on that stuff.

I'll probably also take a few looks ahead at designing "tier 2"
functionality like menus, web forms, and maybe even
authentication/authorization.

At this time, however, I don't have a planned delivery timeframe for any of
these items.  In between them, I need to do things like finish PEP 333,
maybe document the 'wsgiref' library, and possibly implement a server
migration, OS upgrade on a machine or two, and lots of "real world" (i.e.
non-computer) tasks as well.