[PEAK] Traversal, views, and templates = PWT, Reloaded

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Oct 16 20:11:27 EDT 2004

At 02:51 AM 8/22/04 -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>We've come a long way, so I'll go back to recap the concept of the new
>template system:
>
>  * There will be two XML namespaces, colloquially referred to as 'this'
> and 'content'
>
>  * There will be a single property namespace used to look up the
> implementations of attributes in these two XML namespaces.
>
>  * Attribute implementations will be either "registration" or
> "replacement" attributes.  At most one "replacement" attribute is
> permitted per XML element
>
>  * The "replacement" attribute, if any, will be used to create the DOMlet
> for that element.  If the 'content' namespace is used, then the created
> DOMlet will actually be nested just inside the element where the
> attribute appears, and all of the child nodes that would have been added
> to the element are instead added to the "replacement" DOMlet.
>
>  * The "registration" attributes, if any, will be supplied with the
> element where they appear, unless they are in the 'content' namespace, in
> which case they will be supplied an element corresponding to the entire
> contents of the element where they appear.  (If there was a "replacement"
> attribute, this "contents" element will be the "replacement" DOMlet,
> otherwise an extra "tagless element" node will be created.)
>
>  * An 'is' "registration" attribute will replace the current 'pwt:define'
> attribute, and a 'replace' attribute will replace most uses of the
> existing 'pwt:domlet' attribute.  Other new "replacement" attributes will
> be used instead of the values previously specified in 'pwt:domlet'
> attributes.  E.g. 'content:list="foo"' will do the same thing that
> 'pwt:domlet="list:foo"' used to do, and 'this:replace="bar"' will take
> the place of 'pwt:domlet="text.notag:bar"'.

The above items are now available in CVS, albeit with some rough
edges.  The main "rough edge" is that there isn't any documentation on how
to create registration-style DOMlets, or how to use existing DOMlets with
the new syntax.  However, the old pwt:domlet/pwt:define syntax is still
fully functional.

But I'd like to change that, as it's becoming progressively more difficult
to maintain the backward compatibility.  So please let me know if you are
currently using the 'pwt:' syntax, and need to keep using it.  Most people,
however, will be able to just use these simple translation examples to
upgrade existing templates:

Before                      After