[PEAK] MDA, it's hard

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Mar 12 12:31:45 EST 2004

At 10:00 AM 3/12/04 -0600, darryl wrote:
>I dont' know if the PEAK crowd is a weblog reading one, and there have
>been few postings on the mailing list so I thought I'd share an article
>for discussion:
>
>http://www.pacificspirit.com/blog/2004/03/03/model_driven_architecture_thoughts_its_hard

He's correct about the need to have leaky abstractions; in PEAK's
architectural pattern, the DataManager is currently the designated "leak
point".

PEAK, however, at this point isn't emphasizing model-as-design so much as
model-as-code.  So, if you change your domain model in a PEAK app, you're
changing it at the code level, and a lot of the other issues then go away.

But he's also right that MDA isn't a panacea; it's a tool, and one that's
useful to have available.