[PEAK] The path of model and storage

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Wed Jul 28 14:00:45 EDT 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> >* Keys can have an estimated multiplicity, which may be 1 or
> higher.  (1
> >means unique, values higher than 1 are an estimate which may
> be used to
> >drive caching rules)
>
> Clarification: this is to support caching of certain types of
> queries.  But, given that the vast majority of the system's
> functionality
> depends on unique keys, this should probably be simplified to
> deal only in
> unique keys for now.  We can always add support for
> non-unique keys and
> indexes later.

And if, in the process, you decided to make a cache container which:

1. Accepts any Python object (i.e. - don't have to subclass from
peak.something),
2. Is thread-safe: avoiding "dict mutated while iterating" (probably
with a page-locking btree),
3. Indexes on arbitrary keys, which are simple attributes of the cached
objects (both unique and non-), and
4. Is no more than 4 times as slow as a native dict,

...I'd (wash your car | walk your dog | do your taxes) for a year. :)

Robert Brewer
MIS
Amor Ministries
fumanchu at amor.org