[PEAK] Anybody using peak.running.logs or peak.running.timers?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jul 23 01:04:39 EDT 2004

If you are, please let me know what level of customization/use you're
doing.  Are you using the logs.Event class or any of its features?  Custom
logger objects?  Are you doing anything more complex than defining a few
loggers in an .ini file?  Are you using peak.running.timers at all?

I'd like to know because my current intent is to completely remove
peak.running.timers, and I'm considering an overhaul of peak.running.logs
as well.

I mainly intend to change the *implementation* of the logging system,
rather than its interfaces, though.  The principal interface I'd expect to
change is ILoggingService, which would add a method for publishing a log
event, similar to the 'IBasicLogger.log()' method, but with a couple of
additional parameters.  The loggers provided by the logging service would
actually be thin wrappers over this additional method, to specify the
originating component and logging category.  The method would then be
implemented as a generic function.

For backward compatibility, I'm thinking I would retain the existing
logging mechanisms through the a4 release, but allow them to be overridden
by configuration with the logging service.  That is, if no "new-style"
configuration rule matched the intended log output, the "old-style" logger
would be given the data.

The part I haven't figured out yet is how "new-style" configuration would
be done.  From code it's quite easy using 'before()/after()/when()' calls,
but I haven't yet decided on a sensible syntax for doing it from .ini
files.  (In general, adding generic function methods from .ini files is an
as-yet-unexplored art.)

I'd rather not have to go to ZConfig just to configure loggers, but before
we had generic functions that was on my list to be done anyway.  Generic
functions would just simplify the format, since it wouldn't be necessary to
make the file format mimic the structure of log processing.  (I.e., no need
to manually design a decision tree in nested ZConfig blocks, just make a
bunch of <Rule> entries.)

Here's what I think I'll do...  keep the existing configuration mechanism
for simple configuration, even beyond a4.  It's simple, it's easy, it
works.  For more complex stuff, we'll use "plugins" that can be configured
in Python, ZConfig, or any other format one chooses to create.

The ZConfig format would probably look something like:

     <Format feed_format>
     something something
     </Format>

     <LogFile feed_log>
     Filename $somewhere/feed.log
     Format feed_format
     </LogFile>

     <Rule Feeds>
     when category in 'xyz.*' and level >= INFO
     sendTo feed_log
     </Rule>

In other words, you could define formats such as syslog format, Apache
format, etc., define log files and other output mechanisms, and then
specify rules that indicate when output should be sent to those output
mechanisms.  The above is more of an expanded example; more likely the
short form would be rendered thus:

     <LogFile feed_log>
     Filename $somewhere/feed.log
     Format syslog
     When category in 'xyz.*' and level >= INFO
     </LogFile>

Additional rules could still send outputs to 'feed_log'.  Rules and outputs
are allowed multiple 'when' clauses, and rules can also specify multiple
'sendTo' clauses.  'when' rules would get access to all the relevant
parameters from the method being invoked, so you could actually specify a
rule that looks for a keyword in the log message, for example.

Of course 'LogFile' would be just one option for sending output.  One could
potentially define e.g. a 'Mailer' output mechanism, automatically sending
error messages via email.  (In practice, I think I'd wait on defining such
a thing until we have some sort of IMailService to attach it to, rather
than defining a bunch of mailing options just for logging, but the idea
makes a nice example illustrating what kinds of outputs would be nice to have.)

Anyway...  your feedback on these ideas and issues is appreciated.