[PEAK] Re: Proposal for another Wiki "tutorial"

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jul 16 18:14:42 EDT 2004

At 02:27 PM 7/16/04 -0700, John Landahl wrote:

>I'm thinking of using an events.Task for each test runner (e.g. test HTTP
>connectivity for system abc.xyz.com every 2 minutes), which would allow
>peak.events to do all the scheduling.

After some more thought, it occurred to me that the "pull" model I gave
isn't the best one for the core operation of the system.  Instead, it will
generally be more useful to have a function like
'measurement_occurred(measurement)', where a measurement knows its object
of care, metric type, units, etc.  Then, test runners like you mention
simply call measurement_occurred() to publish their results.

Appropriate hooks into measurement_occurred can then compute derived or
summary metrics, log data, store it in a database or cache, etc.

Then, a *separate* pull API can retrieve it from the DB or cache in order
to do reporting.

In other words, both push and pull should exist in the core, as some
facilities will be of each type.