[PEAK] Re: Proposal for another Wiki "tutorial"

Paul Moore pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 17:25:49 EDT 2004

"Phillip J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> writes:

> A few design comments...  hope you don't mind.

I definitely don't mind!

These are just some initial thoughts. I'll follow up with some more
detailed comments when I've had the chance to digest your message in
full.

> If you are going to develop a framework like this with PEAK, the place
> to start is with "enduring abstractions".  That is, things that will
> always be a part of the application.  Or, to put it another way, what
> is the application's "domain"?

I see what you're getting at here, and in many ways you are right.
However, you are assuming a single "application", if I understand you
correctly. However, I have been looking at the problem in terms of
having *many* applications. Each application will be using the same
repository and controller, but different testers and reporter. So on
*this* axis, the repository and controller are the "enduring"
abstractions, and the tester and reporter are one-off items, for the
specific application.

There are some behind-the-scenes constraints here that I'm working
under, which I haven't expressed very well. I'll think about what
you've said, and how it fits with that, and respond properly in my

Paul.
--
Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions,
including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog --