[PEAK] peak web

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jan 30 19:21:23 EST 2004

At 06:16 PM 1/30/04 -0800, darryl wrote:

>>Yes, that definitely needs to be fixed, but until the other TODO items
>>are taken care of, peak.web isn't yet ready for the faint of heart
>>anyway.  :)  In other words, there are too many things that would be
>>"roll your own" right now for examples to help much.
>

>i am not faint of heart! but i guess i can wait a release cycle or two. i
>just want a relatively straight forward way to webUI some of my peak
>components.

It's incredibly straightforward in principle.  Just declare adapters
(Decorator subclasses), and run the top-level object with a
runner.  Ideally, you'll make an executable .ini-formatted file, set any
peak.web configuration items you need (probably none, for a simple app),
and add:

[peak.running]
app = commands.Alias(command=['CGI','import:myapp.ClassOfRootComponent'])

Of course, if you want to use one of the other web-running tools, you'll
change the shortcut, or just replace the entire thing with an import of
your custom subclass of one of the runners.

Where you're more likely to run into an uphill battle is the absence of
many DOMlets for peak.web such as error trapping, layout, or forms
support.  You'll be rolling your own, or else hacking Ulrich's attempt to
use ZPT in there, and really proper ZPT support would require more
integration work to let ZPT paths access peak.web paths and respect
security, etc.