[PEAK] Anybody using reactors?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jan 14 09:08:11 EST 2004

At 12:58 PM 1/14/04 +0200, alexander smishlajev wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote, at 14.01.2004 2:54:
>>Do you ever call 'reactor.run()'?
>>So, the next issue is that the MainLoop will need to stop calling
>>reactor.run(), and simply perform a scheduler-driven loop instead.  As a
>>consequence, 'reactor.stop()' and 'reactor.crash()' calls will need to be
>>redirected to the MainLoop.  Anybody using these directly?  (I can
>>probably make this backward compatible, but it'd be helpful to know.)
>
>we do, but we have frozen PEAK updates at december the 1st.
>
>when we decide to upgrade, we well need to clean up a lot of obsolete
>things anyway,

Hm.  I don't think I've actually deprecated very much since Dec. 1, and I
don't see much being deprecated before the a3 final release.  Anyway, none
of the items deprecated in the a3 cycle are going away in the a3 release
cycle.  So, you should be able to re-freeze at a3 final and replace
deprecated items at your own pace.

>  and maybe we will move to microthreads architecture.

One side benefit of the changes that will be made in a3 is that the
MainLoop will automatically exit if there is nothing scheduled to run
(unless you're using a Twisted reactor).  I believe that something similar
to that was a request of yours (or maybe it was Radek; I don't recall).