[PEAK] Anybody using reactors?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Jan 13 20:01:26 EST 2004

On Jan 13, 2004, at 7:54 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> I've just done a partial merge of events.Scheduler and
> running.UntwistedReactor.  This merge allows the new event-driven
> "threads" to use timed events within a reactor-driven program.
>
> In the long term, though, I would like to drop UntwistedReactor
> altogether, while refactoring MainLoop to use peak.events, and there
> are some transitional issues that would need to be addressed.
>
> Most obvious of these is that if you're using a Twisted reactor, there
> will need to be a way to make it continue to run 'iterate()'
> operations.  A side-effect of this is that the reactor's 'run()'
> method will never be called, which means that Twisted startup/shutdown
> events will not run.  Is anybody relying on those events?  Even if
> you're *not* using a Twisted reactor, are you relying on the value of
> 'reactor.running' anywhere?  Do you ever call 'reactor.run()'?

I don't use PEAK events and Twisted together for anything at the
moment, but this is a Very Bad Thing to propose... it basically turns
any Twisted reactor into a polling reactor, the performance will suck,
and it won't integrate very nicely with some GUI frameworks (especially
OS X, because iterate basically starts up the runloop and shuts it down
with a callLater.. it's only there because the tests use iterate all
over the place instead of run/stop).

-bob