[PEAK] A taxonomy of event sources: designing the events API

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jan 7 10:13:39 EST 2004

At 10:02 AM 1/7/04 -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>On Jan 7, 2004, at 9:42 AM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>
>>At 12:12 PM 1/7/04 +0100, Ulrich Eck wrote:
>>>I'm really looking forward to rewrite my workflowstuff to use
>>>peak.events .. it will fit perfectly i think :))
>>
>>Keep in mind that generators can't be pickled, so you really can't use
>>events.Thread objects to represent workflows that last longer than a
>>single program run.
>
>Stackless Python pickles generators! :)

...and IIRC, it does so by also pickling the code object involved, which
doesn't provide any opportunity for workflow process evolution.  That is,
if you change the code, existing instances are unaffected.  For certain
circumstances that's useful, for others it's not what you want.  At least,
it's not what I want as the primary mechanism for saving state.