[PEAK] EventDriven, ITwistedReactor, and AdaptiveTask daemons

John Landahl john at landahl.org
Tue Jan 6 11:55:36 EST 2004

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 04:37:46 -0500, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>
wrote:

> To be used as a "global" service (i.e. have a default instance covering
> the current service area), a component factory must be callable with
> zero arguments.  ...

Thanks for the clarification, this will be really useful info.

>> Can't wait.  peak.events sounds like one of the most exciting new
>> developments in Python...
>
> Heh.  That might be a *little* overstated.  :)  Generator-based
> microthreads have been possible  ever since Python 2.2 was released, and
> there have been articles out there for a while on how to do them.  ...

Sure, but without an effective framework like PEAK in the mix, these
probably never amounted to much more than interesting ideas to the average
programmer.  My statement is based on the potential to make the concept
accessible and highly usable while simultaneously

> * "Untwisting" the event-driven system as a whole, so that you don't
> have to have a reactor at the center of the universe

...which is a *really* big deal to the average programmer.  As you've
alluded to before, event-driven programming is counter-intuitive,
difficult, and tricky for most programmers (not to mention hard to debug,
understand, and maintain), and so one should not be forced to base an
entire application on such a development methododology just to use a few
tools.