[PEAK] Changing installation location (was re: PEAK CVS vs. ZODB CVS :: [pP]ersistence :: Round 1, Fight!)

Ulrich Eck ueck at net-labs.de
Sun Feb 22 12:52:15 EST 2004

> Actually, this looks pretty cool.  The only downside I see is that existing
> installations of PEAK (or packages installed by PEAK) would need to be
> completely cleaned out first.  Otherwise, the old versions will live on in
> site-packages, which would be come before the .pth in the file.

not a problem for me

> But, the cool thing is that it would in future be *trivial* to remove or
> update a PEAK installation.  And, it would make it possible to have PEAK
> co-exist with a Zope X3 installation with minimal weirdness.  For example,
> I could have PEAK *always* install ZConfig and persistence, since the Zope
> ones would get used if Zope is installed to site-packages.

and it would ease the creation of debian packages, because debian does not
allow to overwrite an already installed lib e.g. kjbuckets while installing a
new package.

> What does everybody else think?  Can you live with doing a one-time
> deletion of your existing ZConfig, peak, datetime, csv, fcgiapp, kjbuckets,
> and protocols packages/modules, in order for future installs to have
> everything bundled in a single directory?  Should I make this change to
> PyProtocols as well?

i like the idea for peak.
for pyprotocols i would use the common way of installing a package,
cause i think it's audience is much wider than peak's. a "suspicious,
undocumented" way of installing would imho not help pyprotocols to get
popular.

Ulrich

Ulrich Eck
net-labs Systemhaus GmbH