[PEAK] I Can't Believe It's Not Threads(tm)!

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Feb 4 22:05:29 EST 2004

At 07:23 PM 2/4/04 -0500, Ty Sarna wrote:
>And just like margerine is a lot more palattable
>than greasy hunks of pig fat, peak.events threads tastes better than
>Twisted, but...

Um, personally I'd prefer greasy raw hunks of pig fat to eating margarine,
although admittedly for reasons of health rather than palate.  :)

Similarly, my digestive issues with Twisted have a lot more to do with its
licensing and singletonitis than with its callback-driven style per se.

>So the question is, should we be calling peak.events butter if it's
>really margerine? One idea is to use a name that emphasizes the
>similarities to threads, but also disclaims actally being threads --
>like when you see "Cheez" in a product name, or "Diamonique", etc.
>Should they be Thredz? Threadique? Threadites? Threadettes? Threadinos?
>Something less silly? Fibers?

Another thought...  Agents.  It preserves the notion of an autonomous
thread of control (there's that pesky thread word again).  Although,
'events.agented(function)' seems a little weird.  Maybe 'events.spawned()'
would be a suitable replacement, meaning the function "spawns" new agents.

Forks.  Tendrils.  Flows.  Activities.  Threadlets.  Workers.  Filaments.

See anything you like?