[PEAK] re: dirtsimple dec 6th post

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Dec 6 18:13:28 EST 2004

At 05:28 PM 12/6/04 -0500, R. David Murray wrote:
>I tried to post this comment on the blog, but apparently it uses
>javascript or something because there was no 'post' button the
>prieview screen (I'm using w3m as my browser).  (*shrug*)
>
>I'm surprised you didn't mention your WSGI PEP.  I haven't read it
>yet, but from the reaction (read: widespread implementation) of it
>in the python community, it seems like a good example of getting
>an Interface/framework adopted.  Maybe that model can be followed
>for other framework issues?

WSGI was harder to create than it needed to be, partly because I wanted to
avoid defining methods and such, which was partly because of the absence of
a rigorous interface standard.

IMO, the absence of a standard for interfaces, leads directly to a lack of
interface-driven standards (he said, in his most Sphinx-like voice).

[Obligatory explanation of obscure cultural reference: the Sphinx was an
enigmatic character from the movie "Mystery Men", who had a tendency to
issue platitudes of the form "If you X Y, then Y X", like "If you learn to
better hide your strike, you will better strike your enemy's hide."  Hence,
"If you do not have a standard for interfaces, you will not have
interface-based standards."]