[PEAK] peak.security

John Landahl john at landahl.org
Tue Oct 21 17:03:14 EDT 2003

Again for another "off topic" topic...

peak.security looks very promising, but I haven't quite been able to wrap
my head around it yet from just the unit tests.  Are any examples of its
use planned?

What I'm hoping to do is secure object interactions at the method and
attribute level, so that one object accessing another on behalf of a user
will encounter exceptions where the user is not permitted access.  More
specifically, a Twisted Perspective object P will attempt to access a PEAK
component C on behalf of a remote user U who belongs to a "role" R (our
idea of a "role" seems to match up with security.Permission).  If C's
method M1 does not allow role R, then P calling C.M1 should generate an
exception.

Using peak.security, how would I disallow R or U from calling C.M1?  Would
I call C.M1 normally from P (and get the exception as expected), or would
accessing C's attributes/methods have to go through some sort of accessor
function?  How would I define that U and R are the active permissions when
making the method call attempt?