[PEAK] runIni => ZConfig revisited

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Nov 14 11:49:49 EST 2003

At 02:55 AM 11/14/03 -0800, John Landahl wrote:
>In re-reading the message at
><http://www.eby-sarna.com/pipermail/peak/2003-July/000589.html>, and with
>the recently acquired knowledge of config.loadConfigFile(), it occurred to
>me that one could have a key in a ZConfig-based config setup a list of
>extra files for the application to load at startup.  Something like this
>(untested):

>The main (ZConfig-based) file might then look like:
>
>    Config  foo-bar.ini
>    Config  more-options.ini
>
>Does this seem reasonable?

Yes, except for the fact that you're now mixing end-user and system-level
configuration.  So, I'd suggest that folks consider carefully whether this
is appropriate for a particular application's users.

For more security-sensitive applications that don't want to use
PEAK_CONFIG, this approach offers some benefits.  For example, such a
"paranoid" app component could also verify the permissions of the config
files before loading them.  Of course, such an app is also going to need to
have a different startup script than the 'peak' script, in order to
override PEAK_CONFIG before it can be used.