[PEAK] Adding psycopg support to PEAK

John Landahl john at landahl.org
Wed Nov 12 13:40:22 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:18:42 -0500, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>
wrote:

> John, if you've tested this, I'll go ahead and add it to
> peak.storage.SQL.

I used it for a data converter I was working on and was able to transfer
~15,000 records from one database to another with no hitches.  It could
still use more real world testing, but I'd say it's pretty functional
already.

> Maybe instead of an 'AddingPsycopgSupport' page, this could become a
> document on how to add support for an unsupported DBAPI database?

That's what I want to do next, after finishing up some really urgent
deliverables I'm working on.  I was going to e-mail the info, then thought
it would be both more readable and more accessible if I put it on the
wiki.  [I actually only took on the task because I had finally had enough
of pgdb's "internal errors" that kept popping up while writing the
aforementioned data converters.  There were no such problems with psycopg,
and as Victor pointed out it certainly does seem faster.  (Coming soon,
some actual numbers).]

> I.e., take my previous notes on how to identify what types a driver uses,
> and whether it uses .values, and explain how to add support.

I must have missed those notes; could you supply an href?  I figured out
the supported types through trial and error at first, then by reading
psycopg's source code.

> Actually, it might be worthwhile to split it into two how-tos: adding an
> address scheme, and creating a DB driver.

Good idea.  This was my first foray into adding an address scheme, but I
could experiment some more and come up with a few more examples and turn
it into its own howto.