[TransWarp] Install PEAK on Windows

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Mar 27 19:19:28 EST 2003

At 09:21 PM 2/27/03 +1100, Greg McCall wrote:
>Hi
>Could someone please let me know what I need to successfully install PEAK on
>Windows. Running the setup.py install copies all the files but fails on what
>looks like linking or compiling in C.
>BTW, I have no trouble installing it in a bash shell on the windows machine
>using cygwin
>Thanks
>Greg

Add this to the file "c:\Python22\Lib\distutils\distutils.cfg" (create it
if it doesn't exist):

[build]
compiler=mingw32

This will tell distutils to use the Cygwin C compiler to build Python
modules for your non-Cygwin Python.  This is the setup I have on my own
Windows machines for development builds of PEAK.

It may be that this requires some additional setup work; it seems to me
that in some previous versions of Python I had to do some "dlltool" stuff
to create some kind of .def or .lib file for linking
purposes.  Unfortunately I don't remember how to do this, as I only have to
do it when new Python .X releases come out.