[TransWarp] PROPOSAL: drop requirement for 'joinTxn=True' on SQL exec

alexander smishlajev alex at ank-sia.com
Fri Mar 7 11:29:03 EST 2003

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

>> so i vote for leaving the "joinTxn" binding in the SQLCursor, but
>> change default behaviour from 'joinTxn=False' to 'joinTxn=True'.  then
>> PEAK users willing to disable transactional mechanisms will have an
>> option to do so, but they must know what they're doing.
>
> I think this is a YAGNI, because what I would personally do is always
> write "offending" read queries with "AT ISOLATION LEVEL 0" or whatever
> the appropriate SQL clause is.  This also has the advantage of being
> more explicit for when you show a DBA or other SQL maven your code.  :)

as far as i know, each sql server has different syntax for such things.
  this means that using these features requires writing sql statements
that are not portable.  ... but maybe this my opinion is obsolete: i
have worked with different sql servers for several years, but it was
relatively long ago.

> Anyway, there's actually no benefit to not having the *connection
> object* join the transaction.

> Also, the semantics of 'joinTxn=False' are screwy.

> So, for these reasons I do not wish to continue any usage of 'joinTxn'

agreed.

best wishes,
alex.