[TransWarp] hotload config info

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Feb 10 14:56:55 EST 2003

At 07:40 PM 2/9/03 -0800, Joel Boehland wrote:

>I figured out how to load other .ini files into the global configuration
>space using code like the following:
>config.loadConfigFile(config.getGlobal().__instance_provides__,
>"conf/module1/module.ini")
> From there, I can pull values out of the global config namespace using
> code like:
>naming.lookup('config:module1.someproperty/')
>
>This will work, but this sort of feels like a hack, so I'm wondering, is
>this the right way to approach per-component runtime configuration? Is it
>advisable to load the components config info into the global config
>namespace, or should I load it into a per-component config namespace? Is
>that is even possible?

See peak.config.interfaces...  specifically 'config.IConfigurable'.  Any
object supporting IConfigurable can be passed to
config.loadConfigFile().  So the following are all valid:

config.loadConfigFile(config.getGlobal(), "aFilename")
config.loadConfigFile(config.getLocal(), "aFilename")
config.loadConfigFile(someComponentOfMine, "aFileName")

You don't need to use __instance_provides__; that the initialization code
in config_components does is an evolutionary accident.

Note that 'binding.IComponent' is derived from 'config.IConfigurable', so
subclassing 'binding.Component' is sufficient to make your component
configurable via 'config.loadConfigFile()' or other means.

>The other thing that I'm trying to work out is how I would manage
>component loading/unloading at runtime. It would be useful to be able to
>remove a component's config info when undeploying a component at runtime,
>but I'm not sure how I would go about doing that.  Any ideas about this?

If you load the information directly into the component that it's for, as I
suggest above, normal Python GC will take care of the
unloading.  'binding.Component' instances carry an internal
'__instance_provides__' registry that holds all the rules loaded from the
config files (or other configuration sources).

>  Also, am I using the wrong frameworks to do this? Are the peak or zope3
> frameworks designed to facilitate component loading/unloading/reloading
> at runtime?

Not really.  One could possibly use data managers from 'peak.storage' to
load components on-demand; in that event you would need to use classes that
look something like this:

from peak.api import model, binding

class Hotloadable(model.Element, binding.Component):
     # ...

I'm not 100% positive this would work correctly.  In principle, it should,
but in practice there may be some tweaking needed in the inheritance
graph.  I haven't tried it yet, although I definitely want something like
it to work in the future.

Anyway, with this approach you could use a 'storage.EntityDM' to
instantiate the components and configure them, keeping them in its weakref
cache for as long as you needed them.  In principle, you could perhaps get
it to save changed configurations as well.  In practice, persisting rules
would be problematic in the current implementation, as the rules are
expressed mostly as lambdas or other function templates created on-the-fly.