[PEAK] Unifying configuration

alexander smishlajev alex at ank-sia.com
Sat Dec 20 05:32:03 EST 2003

Phillip J. Eby wrote, at 20.12.2003 0:27:

>> pure ZConfig is a one-in-a-whole thing.  if there is an error (either
>> syntax error, or environment error, like missing directory, preventing
>> an instantiation of at least one component) the application does not
>> start at all, even if 90% of it are ok.  if we need to change a
>> setting for one component, we have to restart the whole application.
>
> I would note that this is actually a good thing for end-user
> configuration, because it should prevent somebody breaking something and
> not noticing.

i would agree with that, but the leader of our support staff is asking
us to implement starting with config errors.

to address the issue of breaking something and not noticing we should
have a 'configtest' feature, touching each of the configured components
to validate their configuration.

besides, errors in ZConfig file raise ecxeptions before anything of the
application is activated, so we cannot use common logging procedures and
have to produce a raw traceback that cannot be read and understood by
support people.

best wishes,
alex.