[TransWarp] __getitem__ on DM requires active transaction

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Dec 23 15:53:47 EST 2002

At 02:55 PM 12/23/02 +0200, Roch'e Compaan wrote:
> > >I actually want the cache to be flushed between transactions - I just
> > >didn't think object retrieval required a transaction and it seems quite
> > >tedious to manually start a transaction whenever I want to
> > >retrieve something whereas "save", "new" and "delete" operations can
> > >automatically start a transactions.
> >
> > No, they don't.  If you want transactions, you have to start them.  PEAK
> > requires you to be explicit on this point in order to avoid programmer
> > error.
> >

>No, they don't  - I meant to say "can potentially". I was thinking that
>create/delete/edit operations on objects can either cause the
>DataManager to start or join a transaction without the programmer having
>to worry about it at all. I realise now that this can only work if I
>have a single transaction for the whole app or if there are logical
>start and endpoints for a transaction like a web request and response.

Nope.  The programmer *has* to care about transactions, and PEAK is
specifically set up to force you to care.  :)  Of course, as you say, the
exception is a web hit, and that's easy to handle in that context, because
it's a "container" issue.

Now, that's not to say that you can't or won't use the Autocommit
tools.  For example, you could subclass DM, mix in Autocommit, and then
define some methods on it that are "autocommitted".  Such methods can
manage their own transaction scope, if and only if the DM is created with
its autocommit mode engaged (which causes the DM to allocate its own
private transaction object).  Such use cases are pretty specialized,
however, like the previous examples on this list of sending an error
message via e-mail.

By the way, most of the existing DM methods are not suitable for
autocommit, because they aren't something that you could meaningfully do as
the entire content of the transaction.  An autocommit method needs to
encapsulate an entire transaction in itself.

Actually, what's kind of interesting about the web request and response
example, is that you could define your web request objects as Autocommit
and their "process" or "publish" methods as autocommitted, and it would
handle that use case rather nicely.