[TransWarp] current Transwarp status and WARPCore

Ulrich Eck ueck at net-labs.de
Fri Oct 26 07:28:17 EDT 2001

Hi Phillip,

I follow your checkins for TW daily ;-)

is the Database part usable right now ?

do I need to understand the concept of WarpCORE to use it??

if yes, is it possible to give the most basic db-setup for use
with WarpCORE/TW ??

As you said, WarpCORE is not a O-R-binding but a concept of
how to write Apps that use a generalization for data-access.

Is this right ??

I saw from the code that your AppUtils package is needed as well,
are there any other dependencies for testing TW (except those from the wiki)??

> Some good news...  an early form of database support is coming
> soon.  Initially, it'll just be SQL and LDAP connection objects, "Record"
> objects, and the beginnings of a StructuralModel.  When this is in place,
> you'll be able to do the equivalent of ZPatterns SkinScript using plain ol'
> Python code.  Transactions will also be supported, so that you can build
> TransWarp web applications using ZLite.  I hope to check in first-draft
> (i.e. not guaranteed to compile, let alone work) versions of some of this
> stuff later today.

... yes please :))

> [...]

> already in existence for Sybase, and prototypes written for
> Interbase/Firebird, and PostgreSQL.  Porting to other databases (as long as
> they have transactions and stored procedures) should be straightforward,
> since WarpCORE tends towards least-common-denominator SQL features.
>
> Unlike many object-relational approaches, however, WarpCORE still allows
> for very high-performance applications, by leveraging the relational
> database's strengths.  WarpCORE uses a "table per interface" approach which
> allows each interface to have indexes specifically tuned for that
> interface's requirements.  It also uses a stored-procedure manipulation
> pattern that makes it easy to hide any denormalizations introduced for
> performance enhancement.
>
> Although the creators of WarpCORE prefer using Python to most any other
> language, and mostly develop web applications, there is nothing
> particularly Pythonic or web-oriented in WarpCORE, as it is a set of design
> patterns for relational databases, not applications per se.  (There are a
> few fields in the standard "tw_classes" table which are useful for
> web-based applications, but their use is subject to application
> interpretation anyway, so there's nothing stopping you from using them for
> something else or omitting them altogether.)
>
> Indeed, WarpCORE databases are quite usable from other languages besides
> Python.  For example, Java offers many object-relational mapping libraries
> that should work without modification against WarpCORE databases, once the
> appropriate mappings are defined.  For example, ArsDigita's ACS system
> includes a "persistence definition language", PDL, which is rather ideally
> suited to using WarpCORE objects for persistence.  By contrast, PyDO, the
> closest equivalent to PDL available for Python, would require quite a bit
> of extension to work well with schemas based on WarpCORE, or at minimum the
> addition of extra views to the schemas.  We hope to remedy this situation
> in the future by creating a TransWarp "horizontal framework" for mapping
> Python objects to/from WarpCORE database schemas.
>
> ======
>
> So, as you can see, WarpCORE is *not* an O-R binding or mapping tool, it's
> a set of modelling patterns for schemas, a set of idioms for organizing
> data.  If I document it well, I think it will turn out to be a full-blown
> "pattern language".  But it's not software, even though at some point
> TransWarp will evolve to include code that's specialized for use with
> schemas modelled with it.  Currently, the single production WarpCORE
> application is actually based on Zope+ZPatterns, but Ty and I have just
> begun work on porting it to ZLite+TransWarp.  This should result in
> enhancements to both ZLite and TransWarp, probably including some kind of
> database mapping tools, since the target application has both
> WarpCORE-on-Sybase and LDAP datasets that it works with.

What you say above sounds very interesting.
I see that you work hard on extending TW these days .. so can we expect a
release within a certain period ??

thanks for your ansers

Ulrich Eck